Pages

June 19, 2011

A Few Father's Day Gifts



Handmade gifts are the best for Father's Day - don't you think?  Now that my kids are getting older, it is so fun to really include them in the creation of the gifts.
For my husband, I had my girls help me make a Garden Journal, and a Painted Canvas - an "original" piece of art :)

For my dad, I sent him a little glass jar with vinyl letters on the outside (cut with the Silhouette of course), and some money inside.  He thinks he might use it for a candy jar - which would work too!
The saying is a play on words - to mean "Don't Touch My Stash" (Don't Touch Moustache).  I got a good chuckle out of that one ;) 

Three years ago, when my daughter was just 1 & 1/2 years old, I painted the background of this little canvas, and let her paint over it, however she wanted.  That was the Father's Day present that year, and my husband has always loved it.  He keeps telling me he wants more.  


So this year, I did as he wished, and had both my daughters go to town on a bigger canvas:


Once they were done painting, I found a saying that I thought fit him perfectly, and cut out the words with the Silhouette, using a magazine page:

They got mod podged onto the painting - and I really like the look of the words, not perfectly straight, and filled with the printing from the magazine.  It seems to fit the feel of the painting...

And now it can hang next to the yellow one; two father's day gifts that are all his little girls...

The Garden Journal was simple - a composition book with scrapbook paper mod podged on.


I let the girls pick out some dried grass and bits of bark dust to mod podge on the cover, along with some plant stickers.  They had a lot of fun.  Now my husband can keep track of how the plants grow - because we never can remember from year to year which brand and kind we liked best.  Gardening is another thing the girls love to do with their daddy. 

Last year, I dressed the girls up in their dad's clothes, and took pictures to put in a frame with their handprints...that was pretty cute too:)


Words can not describe how thankful I am for my husband as a father, and my own father.  It is fun to honor them this day, as we try to do each day of the year.  Hope you had a peaceful Father's Day as well.  (And the cherry on the cake?  My little sister is in the hospital right now having a baby - making my dad a grandfather again on this special day!)

image signature

2 comments:

  1. Such thoughtful, wonderful, incredibly sweet gifts! I believe the men in your life are just as thankful for YOU as you are of your Dad and husband! Thank you for sharing all these beautiful crafts with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you might have another fancy sidebar button coming your way. I nominated you for the Best in Show award on my blog this week. Be sure to vote! Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete